Reserve Definition - MilitaryDictionary.org
1.) Members of the uniformed Services who are not in active service but who are subject to call to active duty.
2.) Portion of an appropriation or contract authorization held or set aside for future operations or contingencies and, in respect to which, administrative authorization to incur commitments or obligations has been withheld.
3.) Portion of a body of troops that is kept to the rear, or withheld from action at the beginning of an engagement, in order to be available for a decisive movement.
- related operational reserve
- related Ready Reserve
- related Retired Reserve
- related pre-positioned war reserve materiel requirement, protectable
- related reserved obstacles
- related war reserve materiel requirement
- related wartime reserve modes
- related pre-positioned war reserve materiel requirement, balance
- related war reserves
- related tactical reserve
- related Standby Reserve
In the United States, military vocabulary is standardized by the Department of Defence. These terms are used by the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps.
Term Classification: logistics
Random Military Term